King's Lancer: was Re: Melees Report??

Keith Ewing keandbc at ix.netcom.com
Wed Nov 20 11:46:40 PST 1996

You wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Nov 1996 dentim at mail.myriad.net wrote:
>> The King's Lancer is the winner of our first kingdom equestrian
>> championship.
>
>The word "lancer" (in the expected sense) has its first citation 1590,
>so at least it's (barely) period.
>
>Is it just me, or does anyone else have the reaction, upon seeing
>"King's Lancer", of thinking of the King's Bengal Lancers, British
>sahibs, Kipling, and all that sort of tommyrot?
>
>--
>Daniel de Lincoln
>                             Tim McDaniel
>      tmcd at mcdaniel.dallas.tx.us is wrong tool.  Never use this.

Light lancers were used throughout the 16th century in the constant
border raids in the Marches along the Scottish-english border. It was
one of the preferred weapons of the border reiver. As was the wheellock
pistol, the targe, the claymore and light crossbows. The torch was also
a frequently used weapon.
These border reivers were the stock that Britain recruited their
Lancers from.

Kein