Early Lancers

Heidi J Torres hjt at tenet.edu
Wed Nov 20 16:50:18 PST 1996

Mari gives greetings to all!

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Keith Ewing wrote:

> Light lancers were used throughout the 16th century in the constant
> border raids in the Marches along the Scottish-english border. It was
> one of the preferred weapons of the border reiver. As was the wheellock
> pistol, the targe, the claymore and light crossbows. The torch was also
> a frequently used weapon.
> These border reivers were the stock that Britain recruited their
> Lancers from.
>
> Kein

The earliest vaguely "SCA-period" lancers I can think of were the
Sarmatians (200BC to 200AD).  They are often lumped together with the
Scythians, probably the most renowned horse-archers of antiquity.  The
Sarmatians, however, rode into battle clad in scale mail and weilding
light lances and swords.

Of further interest is the fact that sometime during the 2 c AD, while
the Romans were still cleaning up all over Europe, these same Romans
conquered the Sarmatians back east, enlisted a bunch of their lancers
and packed them off to north Britain for the usual 20 year enlistment
period.
Afterwards, as attested by stone memorials, at least some of them married
local girls and settled there.  That puts lancers in Britain as of the
2nd c (around 180 AD if memory serves).

The Britons were also noted horse warriors (lance, sword and chainmail).
Some scholars think this might be the influence of the "British"
Sarmatians.  Coincidentally, the Sarmatians may have come to Britain
bearing tales of a tribal god/hero who possessed two swords, one of them
given to him from a lake goddess, and whose name was something akin to
"Artos".  Intriguing, yes?

Incidentally, I think the "King's Lancer" idea is pretty cool.  Makes me
want to get on a horse and practice.  Also, everyone's been talking about
the "King's Lancer" but, so far as I've read, no one's said who it is!
C'mon, folks, dish!

Yours (especially where Sarmatians & Celts are concerned),

Mari