Information

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Sun Nov 24 21:39:04 PST 1996

On Sun, 24 Nov 1996 LadyVal at aol.com wrote:
> I sent Star Herald a question via email about regalia but have not
> received his reply yet.

I will merely state that I am unsurprised.

> I cannot locate my latest Order of Precedence and dont even know if
> the information is in there or not. It is not in the listing of
> Ansteorran awards.
>
> I need some information about regulations for a Court Barony.  I
> know the ruling is that no points or elevations may be on the
> coronet.  But is there a maximum/minimum height for the coronet?

I *think* that there are sumptuary laws in the back of the OP, but I
don't have one to check.

> Also, I understand supporters are allowed on the device of the
> Baron/Baroness.  And a motto is allowed.

(You know, I doubt me if there are a dozen active heralds in Ansteorra
who remember that there is an "Achievement [of Arms] Registration
Form" and that you can get an Achievement of Arms scroll via the Star
office.)

Court barony in Ansteorra is counted as nobility.  You can have:

- two livery colors "of sufficient contrast"

- a coronet of rank to replace the torse ("wide fillet" or "fillet
  with pearls" -- NOTE: this is for the achievement of arms!)

- a helm facing dexter, affronty, or sinister

- helm type as you like (15th C. barrel helm as the default; other
  period style; perhaps a personal helm)

- two supporters (the Sable Crane and White Lion rampant, together,
  are reserved for Kingdom.  Only a Lion of Ansteorra may choose one
  argent or ermine lion rampant.)

In Ansteorra, a Court Barony coveys a Grant of Rank, and that conveys
the right to an argent helm.  I presume a relocatee would get the
helm, too.  Regardless of that grant, court barons/esses rank just
below the three peerage orders.

I'm sorry to note that a crest and motto are reserved for patents of
arms, and a barony is not a patented award.

> And is a new Order of Precedence coming out soon?

Rumour hath it that Cu Dub MacArtuir has made great progress on the OP
and hopes to publish it at Coronation.  New editions are supposed to
come out at least each Coronation.

--
Daniel de Lincoln
                             Tim McDaniel