"Lord" Diarmuit (Re: Did anyone go to the Northkeep Investiture)

I. Marc Carlson LIB_IMC at centum.utulsa.edu
Tue Nov 26 23:14:55 PST 1996

<Burke McCrory <burkemc at ionet.net>>
>>BTW, as an interesting aside (note, I am simply relating this, not
>>advocating it),...
>Diarmuit, one of the basic beliefs that runs through the SCA is that no one
>is a peasant or slave, we are all at least gentry....

You will note that I wasn't advocating it, simply describing an interesting
"might have been" that cropped up while I have been looking into Gentry.

>Many years ago there was a gentleman who's service to the crown and kingdom
>more than deserved an AOA...

I *did* know about it before court, and tried very hard, working through
the Heralds to have it stopped.  The final decision was up to his
Majesty.  He and I discussed this further during the feast (after
I had apologized for having been so snotty when called up), and his
advice was to use it as something to grow into, as it were.

>All this leads me up to this.  Your work in Northkeep and Mooneschadowe
>over the years proves that you are deserving of this recognition...

Again, I *really* appreciate the recognition.  I just find the title
inappropriate for *me* (besides I daresay that MOST people would never
remember that I've ever even belonged to Mooneschadowe :) )

Let's do this another way.  Not all that long ago, we had a couple on the
thrones who, while not always very popular, had some interesting ideas.
One of these, and one I thought was just *dandy* was publically
acknowledging the contributions of particular people, but not handing
out awards for everything.

Diarmuit