The SCA and Mundane politics (was: Re: You Know You're in the SCA...)

Paul T. Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Thu Nov 7 10:14:54 PST 1996

damaris wrote:

> V. Allan Endel wrote:

<controversial mundane political remarks snipped>

> > Nor mine. Can we leave the mundane politics off the list, please?
> > Alan
>
> I agree with you Alan.  We have enough g----m politics in the SCA without
> having to drag mundane political crap into it.  Thank you for your
> comment.
>
> (Yes this did piss me off)

Now Damaris, you've replied three times in one morning on this thread.
If you want to drop the topic, I suggest as a friend that you'll have
more success in that effort if you stop causing that subject line to
appear in people's mailboxes.

While I happen to agree with the sentiment that inspired Timo's joke, I
agree that this is not the forum to hold such discourses (else I would
have posted on the topic _before_ the election), and so I will not answer
the question someone asked about the connection between honor and the
recent election.

As to your comment about enough (expletive deleted) politics in the SCA,
I suggest that the alternative to trying to talk you into doing things in
the way that I think is best for the group would be trying to force you
into doing things the way I think is best.  "The alternative to politics
is force", Hilary of Serendip once told me.  On the other hand, I would
certainly agree that too much of our politics is badly done, if that's
your point.

> --
> Damaris of Greenhill /mka Susan Wieland
> "Mead brewer extrodinaire"
> ---Azure, three labryses in pall inverted hafts to center
> within a bordure or---
>
> A great many people think they are thinking when they are
> only
>      rearranging their prejudices.  William James.

Nice quote!

- Galen of Bristol
pmitchel at flash.net