laws and calendars

Patricia Horton horton at dhostwo.convex.com
Thu Nov 14 13:05:39 PST 1996

>Lyonel ici.

>First, I was hoping to gain someinsight into a "law" I've heard tell of
>which limits the number of Calendar events a group may haev per year.  Do we
>have such a law?  Was it specified in statute after the 1994 edition of
>kingdom law was published?  What exactly does this law limit/prohibit/require?

This is actually a Kingdom Operating Policy, and is included in the Policy
appendix of the Senschal's handbook. It was to be written into the new version
of Law I was working on this spring before the Seneshcallate changed hands.

>Second, along the same lines, I came across Article V, Section 4:  Perpetual
>Events, which says,
>
>Section 4: Perpetual Events
>
>a. These are Baronial or Provincial events which have definite dates
>reserved on the Calendar of Events for them each year.
>
><snip--i. through xii., naming the twelve events for twelve
>baronies>
>
>b. These events are specifically not protected and may have other events
>scheduled on the same date.
>
>c. The Baron/ess together with the baronial seneschal may petition the
>Crown to waive a perpetual event for one year.
>
>d. The Baron/ess together with the baronial seneschal may petition the
>Crown to change the date of a perpetual event.
>
>e. In the event that Crown Toumament is scheduled on a weekend
>designated as an perpetual event weekend, that Barony or Province will
>be given the option of either moving its perpetual event to a different
>calendar date for that year, or waiving it as per subsection (c).
>

>Okay, so here's my question:  what purpose does this list serve?  The events
>have a "reserved" weekend, but they are specifically NOT "protected"(???).
>I don't want to sound sarcastic, but is this actually supposed to mean
>anything?  Is the general understanding of this arrangement clearer than the
>written law?  How might NOT having a major, repeating event--Lyonesse, for
>example--on this list affect the event's scheduling?

The perpetual events are automatically put on the calendar when the year's
calendar is being put together. The Barony does not need to submit an event
Bid. For all other events the group must submit a bid to the Kingdom Senschal.
Basically, this part of Law gives a Barony 3 events per year vs. the two
event limit imposed on the other groups.

Mistress Maire Drommond
( recently retired Kingdom Seneschal)