Laws and calendars

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Thu Nov 14 14:43:45 PST 1996

Greetings Lyonel....

dennis grace wrote:

<snip>

> First, I was hoping to gain someinsight into a "law" I've heard tell of
> which limits the number of Calendar events a group may haev per year.  Do we
> have such a law?  Was it specified in statute after the 1994 edition of
> kingdom law was published?  What exactly does this law limit/prohibit/require?

Yes we do.  It limits baronial groups to (i think) 3 calander events a
year ( I think this is exclusive of regional/kingdom events: such as
Crown Tourney, Coronation, etc).  This was done a few years back to
minimize the number of events that would conflict on the calendar.

Shires are also limited. I'm not sure what their limit is at this time.
> Second, along the same lines, I came across Article V, Section 4:  Perpetual
> Events, which says,
>
>         Section 4: Perpetual Events
>
>         a. These are Baronial or Provincial events which have definite dates
>         reserved on the Calendar of Events for them each year.
>
>                  <snip--i. through xii., naming the twelve events for twelve
> baronies>
>
>         b. These events are specifically not protected and may have other events
>         scheduled on the same date.
>
>         c. The Baron/ess together with the baronial seneschal may petition the
>         Crown to waive a perpetual event for one year.
>
>         d. The Baron/ess together with the baronial seneschal may petition the
>         Crown to change the date of a perpetual event.
>
>         e. In the event that Crown Toumament is scheduled on a weekend
> designated as an perpetual event weekend, that Barony or Province will
> be given the option of either moving its perpetual event to a different
> calendar date for that year, or waiving it as per subsection (c).
>
> Okay, so here's my question:  what purpose does this list serve?  The events
> have a "reserved" weekend, but they are specifically NOT "protected"(???).
When this law was first enacted, these dates were reserved for a
barony's most popular event.  The thought was to promote consistancy so
a popular event would have minimal conflicts on that date.  Stargate
Yule is a good example.  That is Stargate's protected event.  The only
other event against it is Weisenfeuer's Yule (which is over a 7hr
drive).  Most protected events will not have a conflicting event closer
than 200-250miles.

> I don't want to sound sarcastic, but is this actually supposed to mean
> anything?  Is the general understanding of this arrangement clearer than the
> written law?  How might NOT having a major, repeating event--Lyonesse, for
> example--on this list affect the event's scheduling?

If the date was not 'protected' Lyonesse may be held at varying
weekends.  Since we always know the weekend it will be on, most people
will plan their time off around that specific weekend.  Also, big events
require big sites, having a protected date allows the autocrat to obtain
a site long enough in advance without the concern about changing the
contract when the dates fall through.  I hope I didn't confuse you more!

meadhbh