Costuming question

Matthew R. Popalisky mpopali at comp.uark.edu
Tue Nov 19 15:57:28 PST 1996

On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Jessica Megan Harwell wrote:

> I am looking for patterns (McCalls, Simplicity, etc) from which to make my
> garb out of.  If any of you have found a commercial pattern that you have
> used, I would be very grateful if you would send me the name of the
> company and the number.  I have not chosen my time period for my persona,
> so all contributions are welcome.  Thanks in advance.
> Jourdain

(assuming you've done research to see what lines you are looking for)

>From our good friend, the Knowne World Handbook (get one):

Bridal Elegance 1174   bodices
Bridal Elegance 1833   sleeves (no shirring)
Bridal Elegence 1837   more sleeves (no huge leg-o-mutton)

My advice here would be to look at the patterns in the book and find the
same thing in Simplicity or whatever.

Folkwear 102 French Cheesemaker's smock - field costuming
Folkwear 103 Roumanian blouse - shirt/chemise *this is a good one*
Folkwear 119 Sarouelles - three different ethnic pants.  Can be shortened
                          for slops, etc.  Very simple.
Folkwear 126 Vests from Greece and Poland - field clothes, doublet
Folkwear 204 Missouri River Boatman's shirt - chemise, reduce neckband to
                                              1 in (currently blackworking
                                               mine)
Folkwear 226 Princess Slip - look at it, find a cheaper pattern.  Good to
                             adapt for 15th cent

Folkwear also carries patterns for Hapi, Haouri, kimono, choli, and the
two piece thing the Indian women wear (haven't researched that yet, but
soon).

				*** warning ***

Folkwear patterns are a might tricky, and are not a good idea for the
inexperienced seamstress.  It has been my experience that the instructions
leave something to be desired.

Definately check out the Rialto Archives.  I also have charming T-tunic
instructions, email if you want it.

Kateryn
Grimfells