Did anyone go to the Northkeep Investiture

I. Marc Carlson LIB_IMC at centum.utulsa.edu
Wed Nov 27 06:43:57 PST 1996

<Aquilanne<amazing at mail.utexas.edu (dennis grace)>>
>I'm sorry. I apologize in advance for talking around my foot, but I just
>can't quite help myself on this one.  Diarmuit, for someone who doesn't want
>recognition, you seem to be putting an awful lot of energy into being heard.
>Methinks the man protests too much. Just a couple observations of my own here:

Ma'am, with all due respect, I am putting an awful lot of energy into
trying to make myself *understood*.  I *like* "recognition" just fine.
I just don't want the TITLE.  If you feel that this constitutes "protesting
too much", that's really too bad.

>First, the title is not yours to give; it is the crown's to give based on
>*their* criteria.  If you don't want it, *no one* can force you to accept
>it.  Despite any argument one might come up with, it *is* that simple.

My understanding is that once it is read in court, it becomes Kingdom
Law, and is therefore complete.

>...regarding worthiness of title. I have to tell you, you're coming off as
>terribly arrogant, and even, one might deduce, disdainful of the worthiness
>of other folk who have received AoA's.  Despite what you may mean, this is
>how you sound.

I would not be surprised in the least if it looked that way.  All I can
say is that I work very hard at not judging other people by the criteria
I set for myself, be it in Gentility, Authenticity or what have you. TO
my mind, this is no more "arrogant" or "distainful" than my dressing as
accurately as I can is being so to someone who has different criteria
for how they dress.  If you disagree, then so be it.  If I were in the
Society to make *other* people happy, I'd have been "Lord" Diarmuit
years ago.

>No, I do not believe you are sorry...

That is, of course, your opinion.

>...Really now, it's not as though you were offered a peerage.
>(I might add that a common "joke" amongst Pelicans is the "I'm not worthy"
>chant by those wishing to rise to that particular titular elevation.)

It is fortunate for me, then that it's not really very likely THAT's
*ever* going to happen.

Diarmuit