Did anyone go to the Northkeep Investiture

dennis grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 26 16:25:05 PST 1996

Hi there.  Aquilanne here.

I'm sorry. I apologize in advance for talking around my foot, but I just
can't quite help myself on this one.  Diarmuit, for someone who doesn't want
recognition, you seem to be putting an awful lot of energy into being heard.
Methinks the man protests too much. Just a couple observations of my own here:

>How about going around saying that not only do I not deserve it,
>but expressly insisted that I *didn't want it*, since I do not
>meet the criteria I have set *for ME* regarding the title.

First, the title is not yours to give; it is the crown's to give based on
*their* criteria.  If you don't want it, *no one* can force you to accept
it.  Despite any argument one might come up with, it *is* that simple.

Perhaps you could devise a personal award that you could give yourself once
you've reached the height of your expectations.

Although it would appear that you are ascribing more to an AoA than the
society intended when the award charter was written, there's also some heavy
implication here that your standards are much higher than anyone else's
regarding worthiness of title. I have to tell you, you're coming off as
terribly arrogant, and even, one might deduce, disdainful of the worthiness
of other folk who have received AoA's.  Despite what you may mean, this is
how you sound.

<snip>
>I'm sorry for ranting.
>Diarmuit

No, I do not believe you are sorry.  For as much energy and effort put into
just this one letter, it would seem pretty obvious that you are reveling in
the opportunity to espouse your high standards, and your "worthy
unworthiness."  Really now, it's not as though you were offered a peerage.
(I might add that a common "joke" amongst Pelicans is the "I'm not worthy"
chant by those wishing to rise to that particular titular elevation.)

As to "toe the party line," "play the game their way," and "being stuck with
it," you are choosing to play this particular game, where certain types of
acknowlegements are meant to recognize certain levels of
achievement/involvement. But,  reiterate, if you don't want it, if you can't
bear the thought of living up to practicing whatever behaviour *you* would
expect from a gentleman, then give the AoA back. Peerages aren't the only
titles that can be resigned.  What's more, by giving back the AoA, you will
be fertilizing this status of singularity you appear to have worked so hard
to cultivate.

Chewing, I'm sure, on my ankle as I go,
Aquilanne