Rank and Title

Michael Gunter michael_gunter1 at msmail.fnts.com
Wed Nov 27 09:31:47 PST 1996

M'lord Diarmut,

All of this discussion about an AoA seems rather silly to me.  I truly do
understand your dilemma over the use of the term "Lord" for your personna.  I
can also understand your feelings about your friends giving you an award
which you asked them not to.  I have a running joke with friends of mine who
get into the finals of Crown in which I pester them to give me a Court
Barony.  I know I do nothing to deserve the Barony but I like the sound of
it.  If ever someone took me seriously and attempted to give me one I'd die
of embarassment.

However, and you knew there'd be a "however", please remember that this is
the _SCA_ and not Medieval England.  The AoA is simply an acknowledgement
that you are now part of the family.  Congratulations, you've been Bar
Mitzfa'd!  You say that your main worry is the use of the term "Lord".  Well
be calm because neither you nor your personna is Lord over anybody.  The SCA
is not a perfectly accurate recreation of the Middle Ages maily because it
doesn't want to be.  Our titles may sound like English Peerage titles but
they aren't.  We are our own Society and our awards and titles mean only what
they mean to us.  If we wished to be more accurate, then you would now be a
"Sir" and I would be a "Lord".  But that's not how the SOCIETY wishes it.

As the song says "Your AoA won't get you into Valhalla Anymore".  If you
don't wish to be "Lord Diarmut" then just be "Diarmut" for most occasions and
take your place in Society as your rank befits.  "Mister" is a perfectly
acceptable term and if you are happy with it then use it.  But please do not
abuse those who have granted you the recognition.  Simply accept it with the
grace we hope we all try to live up to.  To be upset over the semantics
seems, as I said earlier, a bit silly.  I prefer to be just "Gunthar" but I
remain

Yers,

Gunthar Jonsson
Knight of the Society
Companion to the Iris of Merit
Order of the Oak of the Steppes
Award of the Sable Thistle of Ansteorra
Award of the Sable Crane of Ansteorra
Award of the Sable Comet of Ansteorra
Award of Arms
Sable Falcon
(Still no Court Barony)

Like I said. "Gunthar"
(and all that stuff STILL won't get me out of a speeding ticket!)
Award of the Sable Falcon