Some Lyonesse Facts from Mari....

Heidi J Torres hjt at tenet.edu
Wed Oct 2 17:17:07 PDT 1996

Hi folks, Mari here posting on the Heidi's account.  Normally I stay out
of these conversations unless I can add or clarify something better than
others and I think this meets the requirements.

On Tue, 1 Oct 1996, Gunnora Hallakarva wrote:

> Estrill asks:
> >That would make an event size of 200 - 400 people. Is the event any
> >larger than that?
>
> Gunnora answers:
> We may have more people than that, but the gate tallies to about that range,
> and each field runs 20 to 45 fighters on the average, I think.

I'm fairly certain the gate tally has never gone above 300 as of yet, and
I think it's been more like 200-250, maybe 275.  The *full* field of
fighters is still under 50 so far; 38-40 the first couple of years,
nearly 50 last year at Lyonesse IV.  The fighters are divided up among
the four Ladies of the Field so each separate field hosts between
10-15 fighters as well as their consorts and accompanying entourages.
However, we believe in being prepared so the ladies generally make 20-25
tokens.

Re favors:

> Four years ago and three years ago on the Dragon field we used braided cords
> in the field colors (red and gold) for belt favors, plus made Viking random
> bead necklaces with a dragon pendant for the fighters-- the pendant was
> different both years (Thordis was Lady Dragon & I assisted her those years).
> When I graduated to having my own field (the last two years) and became Lady
> Falcon, I had feathers with beads attached to strips of fine leather to be
> braided into hair, cloth belt favors one year with a falcon stencilled on
> them, and I also provided Viking random bead necklaces, the first year with
> a cluster of silver feather pendants, this last year with a silver
> Viking-style bird with a blue stone setting as pendants.  Everyone got
> feathers, and some of the fighters gifted the necklaces to their sponsoring
> ladies... but I see a LOT of fighters still wearing their falcon necklaces
> with pride and as a reminder of their visit to the fabled Isle ofd Lyonnesse.

First, I would like to address the gentle readers.  Please remember one
thing: Gunnora is a madwoman.  She was up to her teetah in beads and
feathers for months and couldn't stop the spasmodic stringing motions her
hands made for another 2 weeks, at some risk, I might add, to both her
daytime job and personal relationships.  The requirements to be a Lady of
the Field are as follows: 1) she should have an AoA (which means she's been
active long enough to be socialized in the manners and protocol of the
SCA); 2) she must have a committed network of friends willing to help her
host the Field she presides over (i.e. a support system, aka
"entourage"); 3) she must provide tokens for the fighters on her field
(usually small favors to signify which field they "belong" to); and 4)
she must provide a prize for the Champion of her Field and, now, a prize
for her chosen Artisan.  These are the only "requirements".  It has now
become pretty firm custom to provide some refreshment for the fighters and
entourage hosted at each field.  This can be as simple as water, ice,
oranges, gatorade and some snacks or as elaborate as the groaning board
feast Gunnora had out last year -- that is entirely up to the Ladies.

And now, dear readers, pardon me while I address my dear friend and
fellow Peer, Mistress Gunnora:

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND????  STOP TELLING THEM THESE THINGS!  My God,
if you keep this up they'll expect Byzantium next year -- streets paved
in gold, fountains full of wine, magic flying horses, etc.  The
escalation between the Ladies of the Field already resembles the atomic
armament buildup between the US and Russia in the 1950s and I really
don't think we need certain well-intentioned but artistically psychotic
Laurels stuffing more kindling into that blaze.  I mean, c'mon, between
Seraphina and Catherine du Calais I'm already having nightmares that it's
going to be "Hi! Welcome to Lyonesse, have a tunic; no, really, take one
or we won't let you in."  Now, Gunnora: you don't REALLY want to be the
cause of the untimely implosion of the Isle of Lyonesse, as well as the
end of civilization as we know it, do you?  I thought not.  However, I
will note that if you continue in this extremist vein (i.e. if 400 people
show up at Lyonesse cooing "Oh, Gunnora SAID this was such a wonderful
event, we all just had to come and bring our distant relations as well as
assorted livestock.....) I WILL revenge myself upon you -- and not by
doing something as banal as raising your taxes.

OK, rave ended.  Thank you and good night.

Mari ferch Rathyen, OL