Baufer weapons

Matthew R. Popalisky mpopali at comp.uark.edu
Tue Oct 8 15:15:07 PDT 1996

On Tue, 8 Oct 1996 Caitrin3 at aol.com wrote:

> Baufer weapons:  Defination:  a weapon composed of closed cell foam and duck
> taped.  Weapon may not contain PVC pipe, or any other similiar materials, for
> innards.  The exception is the handles of weapons.  Spears are not allowed.
>  No weapon is to exceed the length of the height of the child.  Weapon must
> be at least two inches in diameter after being taped.  Weapon must have a
> compression of at least 1/4 inch.  (Is this not enough, or to much?)  When
> using PVC pipe in a handle, pipe must be covered with at least 1/4 inch of
> closed cell foam and then duck taped.  Also, all ends of the pipe must be
> likewise covered.

I would say *no* PVC at all.  Garden hose works nicely

> Armor:  I was thinking something along the lines of what we are required to
> wear.  I don't think with baufer weapons though, that the helm needs to be
> the same.  Suggenstions??????   Also, I'm not sure that metal knees and
> elbows are really needed, but yet something is.  Again, Suggestions?????
>
> Shields:  Suggestions?????

Frisbee(TM).

> These are some basic rules I was thinking would be a good idea.
> No child under the age of six years or three feet tall may fight.  Children
> shall be matched with opponents within the same height range.
>  Parents/Gaurdians must be at the field for their child to fight.  No
> parent/gaurdian, no child fighting, no exceptions.  Written consent form must
> be signed by parent prior to the child fighting.  Gaurdians may not sign
> consent form.
>
> Again, this is just an idea of mine that I really need the help with.  What
> I've written is in no way anything even remotely or close to official.  (that
> was my disclaimer)

Oh dear.  As a child-care worker, I am of two minds with this.  With your
required supervision it could be a go, but I know a good number of youths
I would prefer them not joining in.  On the otherhand, I know of very few
smalls who wouldn't get a big kick out of it.

I have seen a baufer flail, but it shouldn't be allowed in (plastic chain,
nerf head).  What about baufer combat archery?  nerf makes some cool
stuff.

Kateryn