Swiss Craziness-fu

Heidi J Torres hjt at tenet.edu
Wed Oct 9 21:47:44 PDT 1996

Mari butting in once again.....

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Lori Jones wrote:

> > Thyra wrote:
> >I figured I'd better correct my math before someone else does.  The below
> >only applies if order matters, i.e. if A fighting B is unique from B
> >fighting A.  Which it's not.  If everybody fights everybody else once,
> >that's only 136 fights.
>
> OK.  If we take the baseline 136 fights per person (@15 minutes each
> - some more, some less), it comes out to 34 hours of fighting, yes?
> So, if we were to run 4 list fields simultaneously, we could divide that
> number by 4 - which gives us 8.5 hours in which to run the
> disqualification rounds.  I'm going to guess, based on usually @3
> undefeateds in a Swiss 5, that we would have 10-15 undefeateds
> in our Swiss 17).   If we take the best case scenario - (i.e. only 10
> undefeateds in the final 3 rounds, which are treated as single
> elimination) and we use a bye (who hopefully wins) in the semifinals,
> then those final 3 rounds should take no more than an hour.
>
> That makes 9.5 hours of straight fighting.  Considering that armor
> inspection almost never closes before @9:30 and then we wait on
> morning court, the earliest possible tournament starting time is around
> 10:30am.  That would make ending at @ 8:00pm the most optimistic
> outlook for the day (of course, that's not taking SCA time, extra
> long fights, administrative delays, lunch breaks, etc. into account).
>
> > A Swiss 17 is probably almost do-able.  I think.
>
> Definitely!  Even better, if we split it up over 2 days. :-)
> Really great, if we decide to hold it in early spring or late
> fall.  And maybe not during the rainy season.    So, how many
> fighters did we start with in the first place?  Is our fighter base
> that large?  What kind of theme could we come up with that could
> possibly induce that many fighters to enter this marathon of
> chivalry?
>
>  * note to the reader, please DUCK before you get hit with strange,
>     flying (totally false) rumors.  Things like "Crown's gonna be a
>     Swiss what!!!!?????"
>
> >Thyra Pseudomathperson
>
> Kat Whocan'tclaimtobeamathperson of Anykind
> (Anykind being a regional province of  IcantbebrokeIstillhavechecks)

OK, I'm really just ducking in to hopefully change the title of this
thread since it had/has the word "Lyonesse" in it and I don't want any
confusion stemming therefrom.

Fighting at Tourney de Lyonesse is totally based on challenges, melees
and team fighting.  It has no listmistress, never has had one and doesn't
need one.

Now for some non-math-person-one-up-manship: Personally, I am so completely
math challenged -- total math blank -- that I can't even *read* these posts;
as in, they look like gobbledegoo
It's about that comprehensible.  I honor you for your capabilities and
pray that no one from Bjornsborg ever comes up with an idea like this.
Oh, now they probably will just to distress me.  Pardon me, I have to go
off and think of an appropriate response; like a sudden hanging.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled confusion.

Cheerfully yours,

Mari ferch Rathyen