Ansteopality Revisited

Heidi J Torres hjt at tenet.edu
Sun Oct 20 01:51:13 PDT 1996

On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Gunnora Hallakarva wrote:

>         Sir Lyonel suggested Steorrheort (Star-Heart) as a possible name.
> Mari, Chieftess in Bjornsborg, suggested to me today that a great name would
> be Caer Leon:  the central area is the heart of the kingdom, and the Lions
> are the heart of Ansteorra, making the name very appropriate.

You must be getting old, Gunnora.  You misheard me over the phone.  (I'm
sure the party in the background and the unexpected interuption of our
phone call had something to do with this.)  Tho I like the name Caer
Leon, I didn't suggest it.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I
suggested Tierra Leon, or Terra Leon.  I can see how you misheard.  Caer
Leon would be a great name IF the heralds would let us have it.  However,
since it was one of Arthur's courts and castles in Wales (and may be an
actual place -- it's really late right now, or rather, really early, and
my memory is faulty), I think we would be restricted from that name just
as we would be restricted from having Camelot.  Let's hope I've beaten
the heraldic forces to the punch or the two of us will be swimming in
protests.

And besides, if we were going to give the heralds fits over something and
take a name from mythology, I have to go with Hell.  Anyone living in
south-central Texas knows how appropriate this is.  And think of the
great euphemisms!  Our royals could be the Prince and Princess of
Darkness, our fighters could be the Legions of Hell.  Peerage circles
could be affectionately known as the Infernos.  And names for certain
awards come to mind as well, e.g. The Flagstone (the road to Hell being
paved with good intentions), the Pitchfork (for those who excel at
prodding others into doing their nefarious bidding -- obviously another
service order), and so on.   Just think of the fun we could have!  If I'm
going to go toe to toe with the College of Heralds over a name, believe
me, it will be outrageous enough to be worth it.

Cheers,

The Evil Mistress Mari