Ansteopality Revisited

dennis grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Oct 20 11:21:32 PDT 1996

Meadhbh wrote:

>Gunnora Hallakarva wrote:
>>
>> Heilsa, All.
><big snip>
>>         Sir Lyonel suggested Steorrheort (Star-Heart) as a possible name.
>
>As much as this name fits the location....it looks and sounds similar to
>a nasty medical conditoin (sorry Lyonel...its my medical background that
>is twitching--grin).  the condition i am referring to is steatorrhea.

No pasa nada, Mistress.  I just threw out the first thing I could think of
that (1) incorporated the Anglo-Saxon star and didn't propose a separate
star (which would be somewhat antithetical to the "one kingdom, one star"
tradition). The herald who suggested that we consider analogs and heraldic
form BEFORE attempting to derive a name was, I believe, deluding himself
with the belief that SCA heraldry is somehow the primary consideration in
such matters.  He was probably in the right with respect to my suggestion of
Steorranheorte, however. Heart of the Star sounds rather like something from
a 1970s science fiction novel.  Besides, medical conditions aside,
Steorranheorte is a bit of a mouthful.

I enjoyed both Mistress Mari's and Sir Pendaren's suggestions, but I have a
few questions.  First, if we're considering lions, we don't necessarily have
to use variations on "land."  What about something like Champ des Lions or
somesuch?  Also, would anyone have any objections to us appropriating the
lions as a principality image?

Second, I like this Hell idea.  Sort of.  Yeah, the heralds would have fits,
and they'd never pass the name.  Okay, so let's go with some of the adjunct
analogues.  Regions with inhospitable climes have long been designated
Devil's This and Hell's That and Such-and-Such Inferno.  Perhaps some
creative and heraldically minded individual could name some such analogues
that would both fit the area and allow us to play with the Hell concept for
regalia and other principal accoutrements.  Perhaps, if we annex all the way
down to La Marche Sauvage, we could allow the land's shape to guide our
naming efforts and become the Devil's Horn (Cuerno del Diablo?) or the
Devil's Hoof (Casco del Diablo?).

Still, if anyone can come up with the documentation to allow us to use Hell
or a reasonable analogue like Tartarus--hey, go for it.

Yours in Service

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
________________________
Dennis G. Grace
Postmodern Medievalist
Division of Rhetoric and Composition
Department of English
University of Texas at Austin
amazing at mail.utexas.edu

Baro, metetz en guatge                    |  Lords, pawn your castles,
Chastels e vilas e ciutatz                |  your towns and cities.
Enanz qu'usquecs no'us guerreiatz         |  Before you're beat to the draw,
                                                    draw your swords.

                   -- Bertran de Born (a really fun Viscount)