Recognizing Skill and Good Works

Larkin O'Kane larkin at apache.webstar.net
Tue Oct 22 02:03:15 PDT 1996

On 21 Oct 96 23:52 , Aodhan Ite an Fhithich wrote:

> Dia duit!

God and Mary to you!

> It was rare in the Middle Ages for one to receive recognition (by
> way of titles or land) from the Crown; it was *extremely* rare to
> receive such recognition more than once in a lifetime.  Yet, we have
> a system in which people actually expect to get such recognition
> several times over the course of a few years. >From the records of
> the last few reigns during which I served as Zodiacus Herald, the
> Crowns of Ansteorra have been giving out, on average, over 500
> armigerous awards per year.  That's about 10% of the Kingdom being
> called up and formally recognized in Court.  Did 10% of England or
> France ever see their King in person, much less receive recognition
> in His Court?

Your point remains the same, your excellency, but a small quibble
about the math: What percentage of English or French NOBILITY ever
see their King in person? Would this not be a more accurate
expression?

> We have too many awards and they are given out too freely.  What we
> have resembles, more than anything, the Boy Scout merit badge
> system. Is it really necessary to have awards and titles in order to
> recognize those who have done well?  Is not public acclaim from the
> Crown enough?

Amounts to the same thing in most cases: an award to put on the
"brag wall." So public acclaim from the Crown with a scroll saying so
would accomplish the same purpose and ease the burden of the
precedence heralds.

Next question: How do we change horses in the middle of the stream?

Larkin
===
If you have a friend you trust well,    | Lord Larkin O'Kane
        go often to see him;            | Trelac, Ansteorra
for brush and high grass will overgrow  | Charlie Cain
        the road on which no one walks  | San Angelo, Texas, USA
-- Havamal                              | larkin at webstar.net