Whine, whine, whine

dennis grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 24 00:37:10 PDT 1996

Greetings All,

Lyonel here.

Baron Aodhan wrote.

> dg> Finally, I would like to thank Baron Aodhan for helping to make my
> dg> point concerning archers.  Y'all may recall that I argued in favor
> dg> of an archery award because the situation of archers is unique from
> dg> that of other artists and from other warriors.  As the good baron
> dg> notes:
>
> dg> <snip>
>>[Archery] *has* grown enough interest
>>that archery only events are not uncommon.  I haven't seen any period
>>encampments only, or costuming only, or weaving only events...
>
>Then let me extend your argument.  Dancers have dance-only events, heralds have
>heraldry-only events.  Do they then deserve separate awards and their own
>peerages??

My, but His Excellency does adore these straw-critter arguments.  I have not
claimed that archers deserve anything based solely on having their own
events, merely that this is another point favoring my previous argument.

If His Excellency can show me that dancers and heralds also fit the
remainder of the situation that I have outlined for archers, yes--I'll
happily champion their recognition as well.  I don't expect to see that
argument posted (except, perhaps, as an exercise in hyperbole).  How many on
this list seriously believe Gulf War will be determined by the side with the
most dancers or the loudest heralds?

Yours in Virtual Service

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
_________________________

Dennis G. Grace
Postmodern Medievalist
Division of Rhetoric and Composition
Department of English
University of Texas at Austin
amazing at mail.utexas.edu

Baro, metetz en guatge                    |  Lords, pawn your castles,
Chastels e vilas e ciutatz                |  your towns and cities.
Enanz qu'usquecs no'us guerreiatz         |  Before you're beat to the draw,
                                                    draw your swords.

                   -- Bertran de Born (a really fun Viscount)