Good Enough? (Was Using the Web for Documentation?)

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Tue Oct 29 22:12:04 PST 1996

Kateryn asks:
>Ok, a few quick questions. Which is prefered, formal or informal notes?
>If the preference is formal, is footnotes or endnotes prefered?  I like to
>put really pertinate things like sort definitions, etc as footnotes and
>citations as endnotes.

Heilsa, Kateryn.

I usually prefer some sort of formal notes.  But I don't care as long as all
the necessary information is there and accessible.  In reading a paper,
footnotes are easier to follow as you read the text, however most publishers
want endnotes to ease the typesetting process.  I'd say that if you're using
endnotes, start them on a separate page so that the reviewer can take them
out of the paper and set them alongside the text as he/she reads.

I usually use endnotes.  If I have info other than bibliographical/citation
that needs a note, I usualkly go ahead and include it with the other
endnotes, sometimes in italic to make them easier to see.

Wassail,

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde