Good Enough? (Was Using

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Wed Oct 30 11:37:17 PST 1996

Stefan said:

<< You may have more info on period lapidary than I have in my files. If so,
 I'd love to get more suggestions and commentary. However, you might find
 some useful info or new sources in these files in my SCA Rialto Files: >>

Sigrid Eiriksdottir replied:

Problem is, I have NO information on lapidary. I learned it the old fashioned
way, from an old guy who'd been doing it for years. I have some books on
jewelry making, but not on lapidary itself. I would >guess< that the period
method used various grits, such as sand and ashes, etc., and water to polish
the stones.

I will do what I can for documentation at Laurel's prize tourney. Maybe
someone there can point me to a reference or two.

Stefan now replies:

Pout. I thought that was what I was doing. There are I believe five
references given in my lapidary file, three of which are period. The two
others should be easy to find since one is an old Tournaments Illuminated
article and the other is a 1990 National Geographic.

Stefan li Rous