Inter-principality awards

Paul T. Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Tue Oct 1 00:22:16 PDT 1996

Galen of Bristol here!

It's been suggested that this issue is a straw man (like the fealty issue
I brought was), because principality awards are non-armigerous, and
because it'll rarely come up anyway.  I'd like to briefly address both of
those points.

First, I have noted elsewhere that Drachenwald Law empowered the Coronet
to bestow Awards of Arms and armigerous Orders over their own signatures.
 The Seneschale of Elfsea, Eowyn ferch Rhys (among many others), received
her AoA from me, as Prince of Drachenwald; it was legally and properly
done without consultation or permission from the Crown, because the
authority had been delegated in Kingdom Law.  We have been told that
Principalities are needed in part to ease the Burden of the Crown; what
sort of easing is it that requires them to sign off on every AoA?  If we
get principalities, I have said here that I will advocate that the
Coronet have the authority I had as a Prince.  If the Principality Orders
are armigerous, we have the situation that they cannot be given to
non-residents without permission of the recipient's own Prince.

Second, Sir Lyonel and others have lately argued that the matter will
very rarely come up at all, in any case.  Quite right; it will be very
rare for someone to be active outside his own principality.  Which brings
us back to my original assertion, that people will have a disincentive
(that is they'll be less likely) to travel outside their own
principalities, due to the fact their activities "abroad" will not
contribute to the eventual receipt of their next award.  This will not
prevent inter-principality travel by any means, but it will mean that
fewer people will do it as much.

Still Galen's opinion,
only now from pmitchel at flash.net
http://www.uta.edu/student_orgs/CSA/officers/paul/mitchel2.html