Baufer weapons

Dan Roberts droberts at ppfs4.tamu.edu
Tue Oct 8 13:37:59 PDT 1996

> Copied from the Complete Ansteorran Participant's Handbook:
>
> No one under the age of eighteen years will be allowed to be a participant
> in any SCA Combat Related Activity within the
> Kingdom of Ansteorra. All SCA Combat Activity within this Kingdom will be
> conducted in accordance with the RULES OF
> THE LISTS of the SCA and these CONVENTIONS OF COMBAT, using the EQUIPMENT
> STANDARDS established
> by the Marshallate of the SCA with Society approved additions and
> modifications by the Kingdom.

    I understand this, and respect it, but I don't see why we cannot
do other things with the kids.  Someone was telling me about some
"kids equestrian" activities that went on at an event.  All the kids
were invited to participate, and they had a mini competition
like catching the rings with a lance.  But what they used were stick
horses, and the plastic collapsible lances.  Supposedly the kids had
an absolute blast.  It might not be quite so entertaining for the
little bit older (pre-teen and teen) crowd, but I bet the rest of the
kids wouldn't be able to remember when they had so much fun.  Surely
we could come up with some similar ideas that wouldn't be defined as
combat, but would let the kids feel like they were participating in
it.

Fionna ni Cheallaigh