Baufer weapons

Scott White swhite at onr.com
Tue Oct 8 13:06:22 PDT 1996

>> Copied from the Complete Ansteorran Participant's Handbook:
>>
>> No one under the age of eighteen years will be allowed to be a participant
>> in any SCA Combat Related Activity

>    I understand this, and respect it, but I don't see why we cannot
>do other things with the kids.

Sorry, please forgive my abrupt answer. I just wanted to send the requested
excerpt first and had planned to draft a longer response later. I
wholeheartedly agree that we should develop kids' events like the ones
you've outlined.

I'm kinda worried about PVC-core weapons that, after taping, are only two
inches in diameter. Bet a kid could give another kid a squashed nose w. that
sort of thing. You might check out some of the Amtgard or IFGS pillow
weapons standards. And you might be able to modify/paint/cover a football
helmet w. adequate face grille for lightweight head protection.

I hope that as we develop/implement this, we'll keep in mind that the reason
for kidfighting is for FUN and not COMPETITION.

More thoughts later,

Gnith
<swhite at onr.com>