taking insults where none were

Jay lordulf at ionet.net
Mon Oct 14 11:30:34 PDT 1996

  I was involved is such a situation once, and thank the gods the person
'insulted' and I were friends before, and remained friends ever since.  It
was over an innocent remark, but a 3rd party thought it sounded insulting
(some people eagerly seek insults in things so they can brown nose).  This
3rd party went to the 'victim' and told him he had been insulted, and I
found myself challanged to a one on one comabt of light weapons.  The victim
and I worked it out, accordin to SCA/medieval rles, procured seconds, set a
time, place, etc....all very formal.  after 6 months I went before the
populace (a baroial court, so most would be there) and apologized if I had
truely insulted him.  Apology accepted and a lession learned.  Do not take
insults for others, you just become a rumor monger, and disliked/distrusted
by others, and if you are insulted, work it out in a civilized manner.  The
'brown nosers' were dissappointed, the Barony saw as a whole a onderful
friendship, and good persona acting.
  It was not easy to turn such a foul thing into a benefit, but it was done.
I, for one, would never want to go through that again, and would prefer that
people would simply laugh in the rumor monger's face.
  I have ranted long enough, I will not go back to Lurk Mode for another 6
months....

  Your's in service to my Barony, my crown, and the SCA!

 Lord Ulf Jorgensen

                           Lord Ulf Of #SCA in Undernet
                                 (US.Undernet.org)
                    The Soceity for Creative Anachronism