Learning Latin

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Tue Oct 22 15:39:52 PDT 1996

<snip>
>By the by, these days the pronoun cases are nomitive and objective, or at
>least they are in OK and AR--
>
>Kateryn Englishteacherdottir

The actual noun (and pronoun) cases are:
nominative (used for subject of sentence)
genitive (used to indicate possession)
dative (used for indirect objects)
accusative (used for the direct object and the object of some prepositions)
ablative (used for the object of some prepositions, also used to indicate
"the means by which something is done")

English doesn't change the form of the word for every possible use of the
noun, unlike most languages.  All five noun cases were once taught in
English grammar classes, but I'm afraid that the praxctice died out with the
demise of copperplate handwriting.  Sentence diagramming held on until the
late 1950's or maybe even the 60's in some places.  It is a sad commentary
on our educational system that most people don't learn English grammar until
they sart learning another language.

Wassail,

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva