Learning Latin

Matthew R. Popalisky mpopali at comp.uark.edu
Tue Oct 22 15:00:47 PDT 1996

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Gunnora Hallakarva wrote:

> Basic Knowledge of English Grammar a Necessity:
> The biggest stumbling block for folks who I have tutored in Latin is the
> fact that they have no idea of what the rules are for ENGLISH grammar.  If I
> can't explain to you that the direct object takes the accusative case, it's
> going to be a long row to hoe!  You must know what a subject is, or the
> object of a preposition, or a direct object, or an adverb, etc.  In
> addition, one of the biggest helps in being able to translate from English
> into Latin is the now nearly unknown skill of sentence diagramming (if you
> were in the phonetics generation, you have no idea whereof I speak).

funny, I've had any number of friends say they understand English
mutt-grammar after studying a foreign language.  I studied German and
promptly wished the Normans hadn't invaded the isle...

By the by, these days the pronoun cases are nomitive and objective, or at
least they are in OK and AR--

Kateryn Englishteacherdottir