A & S standards

Scot Eddy seddy at vvm.com
Wed Oct 23 07:57:44 PDT 1996

Greetings Gentles,

Mistress Gunnora asked the artisans of Ansteorra to discuss standards
for Arts and Science competitions.

I write icons (it's called writing not painting for some strange
reason) How many people out there know how to judge a period Icon?
Probably not many. I don't mean to belittle anyone, but I shudder to
think of judges casting votes on my icon when they know little or
nothing about the subject. (I could be wrong about how many folks know
anything about icons, I apologize if I tread too heavily on tender
toes)

Isn't it odd, though, that the best judge of my icon is a man who only
has an AoA (Angus macConn mka Tom Wilson of Temple) He is a real life
iconographer and my teacher.

I would love to develop a set of standards to judge icons both to
educate my fellow artisans and also to make judging easier for tose
who have no experience with the artform.

The long and short of my missive is; yes, I would be in favor of some
guidelines, standards, something that would enable judges to
accurately judge my works as well as the work of my fellow artisans.

I'll be at the Laurels Prize Tourney in Steppes if you would like to
discuss this with me or you may e-mail me at the above address.

Grace and Peace,

Ld. Jovian Skleros
Scot Eddy