Names, Meanings, and th

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Mon Oct 28 23:50:25 PST 1996

Larkin asks:

>And speaking of experts <gr>; Does anyone have any info on the
>naming practices of the Rom? Female names specifically. A friend
>likes "Tchaia" but has'nt a clue as to how to document it and/or what
>the naming practices were.  Can anyone point in the right direction?

I'm not an expert, but I do have some info that might be of use to your
friend if by "Rom" you mean the Romani or Gypsies. Take a look at this
file in the CULTURES section of my SCA Rialto Files:
Gypsies-msg       (36K)  3/27/96    Gypsy culture. Also called Rom or Romani.

There are a several books on the Romani mentioned and reviewed and the
message below is from the file.

Stefan

===