Principalities

Lisa A. May xylm1 at ttacs1.ttu.edu
Tue Sep 17 15:26:34 PDT 1996

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Rik Packham/Angus mac Taggart wrote:

> their events. It will remove alot of the stress and strain from the Crown
> to be everywhere at once. They will not feel as if They are neglecting
> Their people of Their smaller holdings because They cannot attend their
> events.

Without yet venturing an opinion on this issue, I would like to point out
that this oft-repeated view is something of a fallacy.  I ruled in a
Kingdom with two Principalities at the time (the East, before Drachenwald
split off).  It made absolutely no difference to our travel schedule that
a group belonged to a principality -- the question was, "how long has it
been since they saw *Kingdom* royalty, and who in the groups merited
recognition on a *Kingdom* level."  Just because there is now a buffer
level of awards, royalty, etc., does *not* mean that the Crown gets a
vacation from travelling to those groups.  As long as the Principality
remains a part of the Kingdom, the groups in that Principality have a
right to the attention of the Kingdom monarchs.

We travelled an area ranging from West Virginia to Nova Scotia (just
including the groups we managed to visit).  Because we were the Pennsic
War Crown, we did not make it to Europe (couldn't afford both!).  It made
*no* difference whether a group belonged to Aethelmearc or not -- it was
still our responsibility to travel and award recognition where warranted.

Margaret

Countess Margaret ny Connor  *  Lisa A. May               *
Barony of Bonwicke           *  Texas Tech School of Law  *
Kingdom of Ansteorra         *  Lubbock, TX               *