principalities....

I. Marc Carlson LIB_IMC at centum.utulsa.edu
Wed Sep 18 11:44:18 PDT 1996

<Lionardo Acquistapace<zarlor at acm.org (Lenny Zimmermann)>>
>...And the assumption that the "reason" for
>such action is not to reduce paperwork. In fact better to assume that
>that a reason(s) has not been given for a split and we'll have to
>come-up with it on our own. Is there any reason we should NOT make
>these assumptions? I think if we do make these assumptions we can
>focus this discussion a little better for those of us who are trying
>to weigh everything out before deciding to bring our feedback to the
>Crown.

If we haven't been given a reason for this proposal, we are left to
assume reasons if we so chose.  Those reasons are going to be either
to correct some flaw, or some perceived flaw in the status quo, or
to give someone something.

Looking at the latter first, this proposal could have been made to somehow
benefit the Crown, the Kingdom Seneschal, the people holding those offices,
or people who are affiliated with the people holding those positions.  Now
to judge from the traditions of "politics as usual" in the SCA (and many
other social groups as well), it would be REALLY easy to immediately assume
that this is what they are doing by making this proposal.  However, I
personally think that to hold that assumption (without further evidence to
support such a position) requires more paranoia than I am really willing to
spend the effort on.

Therefore, I would prefer that they are doing to so to correct some flaw,
or something that has been seen by someone as a flaw.  As the strain of the
bureaucratic requirements were mentioned (I believe), and definately were
mentioned when the Regional offices were established, AND this has been
described by a number of second hand accounts as this being simply an
administrative change, I believe this is the most reasonable option (at this
time).

If nothing else, than this sort of option should be discussed.

However, there is always the possibility that the proposal was made to
meddle in something that isn't "broken", in which case, I would suggest that
it's a stupid idea, and to "tinker" just because you can will likely only
serve to make things more complex.

I. Marc Carlson, Reference Librarian    |LIB_IMC at CENTUM.UTULSA.EDU
Tulsa Community College, West Campus LRC|Sometimes known as:
Reference Tech. McFarlin Library        | Diarmuit Ui Dhuinn
University of Tulsa, 2933 E. 6th St.    | University of Northkeep
Tulsa, OK  74104-3123 (918) 631-3794    | Northkeepshire, Ansteorra