BOUNCE ansteorra at eden.com: Admin request (fwd)

Richard Bainter pug at interval.net
Fri Sep 20 05:18:52 PDT 1996

From: Leslie Miller <miller at pp.okstate.edu>
To: ansteorra at eden.com
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 15:55:02 -0600 (CDT)
Subject: Principalities and events

> /The other thing that it might do for Ansteorra is provide Princes and
> /Princesses who can support the little groups in out-of-the-way
> /places.  It would, in my opinion, really help the growth of the
> /kingdom overall, because the smaller groups would have more support.
> /Ok, so such and such a shire may not be able to bid successfully for
> /Crown or Coronation... they probably *could* get Principality events
> /which would have a good turnout.  It would increase the pomp and
> //circumstance of their events to have the Prince and Princess show up.
> /I really do think that principalities would benefit the smaller groups.
>

> /Gunhilda
>
> We have a large problem getting groups to apply to sponsor Kingdom events
> now. Having groups apply for hosting Principality and Kingdom events will
> make the field more scarce and possibly burden the groups more.

Well, that's a point I hadn't considered in regards to some Kingdom
events, it's true.  If you can't get someone to submit bids for
things like Kingdom Warlord or Kingdom Eisteddfod (sp?!), adding
Principality events would certainly not help the situation.

I was actually basing my argument on personal experience
here where I know we submitted many bids throughout the years
for Crown or Coronation before we finally got one.  The
reasons for it are really quite simple: firstly, we're way out
of the way for the majority of Ansteorrans.  Who wants to drive all
the way up here when the event could be held in a more central area?  That
wouldn't be so true in regards to a principality.  (That's also a
strong point in favor of Sir Kief's proposal for a rotating system
for kingdom events.)  Secondly, it might rightfully be questioned
whether a small shire could adequately host a huge event like
Crown or Coronation.  Principality events might provide smaller groups the
opportunity for hosting events which are almost certain to be
*successful* (we only had about 100 people show to Kingdom Dance
Symposium, and if we hadn't worked to pay off the site in advance, we
would have lost money), but may not be overwhelming to them (like 700
people for Coronation).  That, at least, was my original line of thinking.

> Some groups do well to get through their required number of events per year.

And some groups have trouble finding a non-reserved calendar date to hold
theirs, which certainly wouldn't be helped by having principality
events.

Gunhilda

--
Richard Bainter          Mundanely     |    Network and System Administrator
Pug                      Generally     |   Interval Systems, Inc.  Austin, TX