Principalities

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Mon Sep 23 10:02:35 PDT 1996

>Hate it!!   Hate it!!!!   Hate it!!!!

Heilsa to Whoever this anonymous post was from.

Why do you hate the principality idea?  What are your reasons?  We can't
have an intelligent discussion without some rational thought!

I personally am all for it.  What everyone forgets is that, while the plan
calls for principalities that will never become kingdoms, in actual
historical SCA practice, one you are officially a principality, if you can
get the money, the correct number of paid memberships, and a healthy number
of peers in the principality, you CAN become an independent kingdom.  I
smile upon this idea, being in the middle of Ansteorra.

Why do I like it?  Some background is necessary.  First, I personally think
that once someone has achieved the rank of duke that they should never fight
in Crown again.  Why?  Because having the same people over and over is
boring.  Not only that, it leads to the type of nasty power politics that we
all hate.  If I wanted to play politics, I'd be campaigning to be my local
area political party chairman, not dressing in medieval clothing and trying
to have a good time.  Now, why does that make the principality thing good
for the middle of Ansteorra?  We lose Houston.  In the original plan, we'd
have lost Dallas-Ft.Worth & points north also, thus getting rid of most if
not all of the Repeater Crowns that I so loathe and detest.  Even if the
Crown is a couple that I personally like, I'd rather have variety.  New
blood, new mistakes, new a**holes to gripe about.

I'd like to see a kingdom that included Texas minus the coast.  I could live
with that. I'd be out heavily encouraging folks to buy memberships if they
haven't done so already.  Yes, I'd push for kingdom status if at all possible.

The only complaint I have about the three principality idea is that at first
it will be a disaster in terms of the kingdom calendar... we'll be adding a
whole slew of new events:

2 or 3 principality lists, plus one crown list
2 or 3 coronettings, plus one coronation
2 or 3 princess's champions, plus one queen's champion
2 or 3 principality warlords, plus one kingdom warlord

etc. ad nauseam.  I know that each principality can also schedule events
without regards to those being held in the other principalities, but still
it will make another set of important events that will probably have peerage
circles which I will have to attend...

Well, no matter what we say, I think the principality thing is going to
happen.  There is no escaping it.  This is not the first time its been
tried, but I think that there will not be enough vocal opposition attending
peerage circles and making live appearances at events, not to mention
writing hysterical letters to the BoD, to slow the process.  We'll see, at
any rate, how it comes out.

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde