principalities

Larkin O'Kane larkin at apache.webstar.net
Mon Sep 23 14:15:49 PDT 1996

On 23 Sep 96 19:24 , Gunnora Hallakarva wrote:

> Heilsa, Larkin
>
> First, how difficult is it to print off a copy of your e-mail
> missive before posting, popping it into an envelope and sticking on
> a stamp?

I refuse to believe that you are not making the implication that I
am too lazy to write a letter, pop it in an envelope and sticking on
a stamp. So I fail to see the point of this part of your statement.

> The reasons we can't use e-mail as "official correspondence" are:
> (1) how do you know who is REALLY using that e-mail address?  Sure,
> mine SAYS Gunnora Hallakarva, but I live in a household with my
> spouse, who could easily crank open my access and post letters
> pretending to be me, if she were so inclined. My password is
> automated into the Eudora program that manages my mail. Others have
> several people, in and out of their household, all using one e-mail
> account.  The only way to be sure who the poster is really is to
> have a printed copy signed by the author.  If in doubt, signature
> comparisons work.

How do you really know who wrote the letter, stamped the envelope and
mailed it? NOBODY is going to go to the trouble of asking for and
comparing signatures. Your spouse could just as easily do the same
with a letter. A bit harder if the whole letter is handwritten but a
typewritten letter with a scribbled signature would pass muster
without a problem.  If you really want secure correspondence you
could insist on PGP signatures for each email missive.

> (2) The Kingdom files must have copies of all correspondence... this
> means hardcopy.  Why should the Crown pay for paper to print your
> opinions?

The Kingdom files could just as easily incorporate electronic format
as paper format. There is no LAW that requires hard copy of files.
Even the banks don't return your hard copy checks anymore. The keep
microfilm/electronic copies and destroy the originals.

> It is not very expensive to mail a note to TRM, or failing that,
> you can always hand-carry it, or have someone else hand carry it to
> an event and give it to TRM in person.

All valid alternatives but having no bearing on why not email.

> (3) Equality Problems.  Not everyone has e-mail.  Some people would
> always bitch that the Crown paid more (or less) attention to e-mail
> vs. regular mail.  By making everyone do it the same way, you remove
> that perception. This is a situation similar to filling Christmas
> Stockings for two or more children... if you've ever done this, you
> know you must have EXACTLY the same number of green candies in each
> stocking, the same number of Hershey's kisses, the same number of
> candy canes etc.  If you fail to do this, there will be "Nyahm nyah,
> I got more ------- than you did!"  followed by "Wahhhhhh!! Santa
> Claus isn't fair!"

Children will always act like children. Accomodating them only
reinforces the behavior. I refused to treat my children in such
childish manner believing that it did them a disservice. Treating
adults that way does them a disservice also.

> I heartily reccomend to everyone on both sides of the Principality
> issue that you take the time to carefully organize your thoughts,
> arguments pro and con, and set them to paper.  Mail this,
> including both your mundane name and address, plus your SCA name
> and local  group affiliation, directly to TRM.  They have asked
> that we do so.

I heartily agree. It's the only way to have your opinion counted. I
do, however, still believe that email correspondence should be valid
also.  Incidentally, I have been informed unofficially that the
decision of the BoD to not allow electronic correspondence to be
recognized as official email is being reconsidered because the
reasons for it no longer apply.

> Knee-jerk hysterics such as have flown past my server the last few
> days won't help anyone.

No, but the considered opinions that have been presented on my server
the last few days have given me much food for thought in making up my
mind as to what my considered opinion will be.

> Considered opinions, mailed to TRM for proper consideration will
> help the Crown make a decision reflective of the wishes of the
> majority of our fair Realm.

Well, at least of those who care enough to express an opinion either
way. I would be very interested in finding out what the ratio of
those casting qualifying votes is to those qualified to cast votes.

Thanks for writing Gunnora. Your points are indeed understood if not
entirely agreed with.

Larkin
===

---
He has honor if he holds himself to an ideal of   | Larkin O'Kane
conduct though it is inconvenient, unprofitable,  | AKA Charlie Cain
or dangerous to do so.                            | larkin at webstar.net
--WALTER LIPPMAN, A Preface to Morals (1929)