Principalities

dennis grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Sep 23 12:52:10 PDT 1996

>At 09:10 AM 9/23/1996 EDT, Galen wrote:
>
>>There's a dis-incentive for many people to go to events outside their
>>kingdom and/or principality:  The Crown or Coronet of an area you don't
>>live it can't give you awards except with the permission of _your_ ruler.
>>If you have a choice between going to an event where your activity might
>>contribute to your eventually earning an award, or one where it won't, that
>>other event will need to be a whole lot more fun to make up for the loss of
>>award-earning potential.

Just a thought, Sir Galen: call me a sentimental idealist, but how about
service for the sake of serving, for the sake of contributing to the greater
glory of the whole?  Should we be overly concerned with those (hopefully)
few individuals whose primary motive for serving is based in
award/recognition-earning potential? Of course it's nice to be recognized
for service; that's *why* there are service awards, and there is really no
yardstick for observers to measure another's intent by--only the server is
privy to their own intent.  One can only hope people go to the events and
serve because it's the courteous and chivalrous thing to do (and, yes,
fun!), and not whether or not the "right" people are perceived to be
watching.  Just a small notion to chew on.

Mistress Aquilanne

Postscript (from Lyonel):

The aspect of Estrella War that I always cherished above all others was the
opportunity to make contact (quite literally--sword to shield) with fighters
of other areas than my own.  For similar reasons, I always sought out the
local groups when I travelled on business.  I think the same system would be
efficacious for artists of any ilk.  Groups tend to develop insular
methodologies, and contact with the outside always enriches the learning
environment.  For this reason, travel to other Kingdoms' events remains
worthwhile--no matter who sees.

In Virtual Service

Sir Lyonel