Calendar on the WWW

Lori Jones LJONES at bashful.ossm.edu
Tue Sep 24 16:00:10 PDT 1996

>> a percentage of our SCA membership dues is the primary source
>> of funding for the production of the Black Star.  We don't sell
>> subscriptions, per se.  The Black Star (and all it contains) is a
>> direct benefit available only to paid members.

>That may not be true. *If* I read the request for Deputy Kingdom
>Chronicler correctly, they plan on putting the BS on the net. I don't
>know how they plan on controlling access to it, if at all.

I was thinking of what was actually available at the present time.
I haven't heard much about the Deputy Kingdom Chronicler's
position, but I *thought* it was more about creating a web page
for the Kingdom, rather than putting the entire Black Star on the
net - at least that's what I thought was brought up at the GOofS
meeting at Coronation.  I could be wrong though, its pretty easy to miss the
finer details of a topic.  I would think that putting our entire Kingdom
Newsletter on the net might require approval (or at least the
consideration of) the Corporate Chronicler.  I've scanned web pages
for many of the Kingdoms and I don't find a Kingdom Newsletter on any
of them (or did I just miss it?).

To be honest, that's an office I'm not very familiar with.  It could have
already been approved and I still wouldn't know it.

>Uhh. Knowing there is an event in Waco doesn't help me much if I don't
>have a clue where to go, how much it costs, if they allow pets, etc. It
>just makes it convient for future planning of your personal calendar.

Well...... I guess maybe it is easier for a paid member to gain
access to important information about the events they want to
attend. :-)   However, it isn't impossible for non-members to get the
info they need (copy from a members newsletter, have a friend give
specifics, etc.)  I did it during my last two years of college, before I
realized (accepted) this would be a long-term activity.

>But then again, some local groups are posting event announcements on
>here and on the web. Guess they want more than just the people who get
>the BS or would rather make information easily available for all. *smile*

You're right.  I imagine they would want to reach the largest
possible audience to get better attendance at their events.  However,
as has been said previously, those of us with net access are
definitely the minority.  What one person downloads, another must
photocopy from them - just like maps from the BlackStar.

>Phelim Uhtred Gervas  | "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS. There is something
>Barony of Bryn Gwlad  |  graceful about that lady. A young woman bursting with
>House Flaming Dog     |  vigor. She blinked at the sudden light. She writes
>pug at pug.net           |  beautiful poems. When ever shall we meet again?"

Kat MacLochlainn  >"<    /    Lori Jones
Barony of Wiesenfeuer     /    Oklahoma City, OK