Principalities, Opinions, and Personal Attacks

damaris damaris at geocities.com
Wed Sep 25 05:09:56 PDT 1996

Gunnora Hallakarva wrote:

>                            Postage paid by:
>                                [Image]
>                          Your Home on the Web!

> Heilsa, All, from Gunnora!
>
> I just received an off-list post that said:
>
> <snip>
> > them.  I have been hearing that a couple of people are really upset about some
> > of your posts on the principality thread.  Apparently they feel that some
> of your
> > comments are a personal attack or something.  <snip>
>
> If these words don't apply to you, you need not read the comments below, but
> if you are one of the anonymous peopel with a problem, please continue
> reading, I pray you.
>
> Please let all know that:
>
> (1) All postings that I have made on this topic (Hel, all the posts I have
> made, period) are in fact opinions.  No one has to agree with them.
>
> (2) I stand by my opinions as posted until and unless I see sufficient
> evidence that my opinion is incorrect, at which time I will happily revise
> it.  If you don't like my opinion, you are certainly free to contact me,
> either on the list or privately, e-mail, snail mail, telephone or in person,
> and try to persuade me to your point of view using rational, reasoned
> arguments.  You must however remember that on some items I may only be able
> to agree to disagree in a civilized manner.
>
> (3) I have not made any personal attacks on anyone, not even those who I
> most strenuously disagree with (c.f. the interchanges between Viscount Galen
> and I... which I think are on a civilized level of discourse!).  The purpose
> of debate (and all communication) is the exchange of ideas.  Hopefully
> through debate we will all learn something, and at some point it will become
> obvious that there is a middle ground that we can all agree upon.  Some
> people will always disagree with anything, but compromise is what makes real
> life work.  If we cannot debate, we cannot arrive at a place where
> compromise is possible.  BTW, as anyone who knows me will tell you, I am
> blunter than a brick.  If I ever have a problem with you or your actions,
> believe me I will let you know.  It's not always comfortable hearing these
> from me, but you will have no doubts about how I feel or what I think you
> should do about it.
>
> (4) I do not realistically expect that all of my suggestions will be
> followed, no matter whether we get principalities or not.  I have not only
> sent my views in hardcopy to TRM, I have privately posted a number of
> individuals on BOTH sides of the argument and urged them to do the same.  I
> hope all of you will take the time to sit down, draft your opinions, wait 24
> hours, revise them if necessary, then post the resulting document to the
> Crown.  They cannot be expected to make good decisions on an issue that
> affects so many people without our input.  That's why we were asked in the
> first place.  I have no stake in "winning at any cost" in this debate ... I
> [...]

I want to publically state that I support everything you have just said.
 I also speak from experience that she has much more respect for people
who say what they think about her to HER than those who tell everyone
else but her.

--
Damaris of Greenhill/ mka  Susan Wieland

damaris at geocities.com
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/4258/