principalities...border

Burke McCrory burkemc at ionet.net
Wed Sep 25 23:01:10 PDT 1996

At 05:55 PM 9/25/96 U, Stefan li Rous wrote:

>>Huh? Perhaps I'm missing something but how do the other kingdoms handle
>>this? What exactly are their lines of fealty? This doesn't sound different
>>from the situation that other kingdoms have faced. Or is fealty in
>>Ansteorra different from that in other kingdoms?
>>
>>Do the kingdoms with principalities handle this situation differantly from
>>each other? If they all handle the situation the same, why shouldn't we?
>
>I think that you must first swear fealty to your Crown, then to your Coronet.
>

>Hmm. Doesn't match any medieval culture I'm aware of.  Do you mean that
>when the fealty conflicts, the Crown comes first or do you just mean that
>you must physcially swear fealty to the Crown and then (perhaps later the
>same day) swear fealty to the Coronet.

Look at England 1190's under Henry II,  his son, young Henry was king of
England and as such english nobles swore fealty to him, but he and they
swore oaths to Henry the II as King of the Empire.  The nobles were in
fealty to both at the same time.  It did make for some interesting times
when young Henry declared war on his father.

In Service to the Dream

Sir Burke Kyriell MacDonald

mka. Burke McCrory
burkemc at ionet.net