Principalities

dennis grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Sep 18 10:59:08 PDT 1996

>Well, your theory is true as far as it goes; however, the creation of
>three principalities also creates many more events that will become
>"important" principality events (coronets, investitures, champions
>events, etc.)  The Crown will eventually be expected to honor these
>events with their presence.  It's human nature -- if the Crown attends
>one principality's coronet tourney, the others will feel slighted if they
>don't attend theirs, etc.  And, I certainly don't envy the Crown sitting
>the throne when the split occurs.  What a nightmare year that will be!
>Three Coronet tourneys, three investitures, warranting of principality
>officers, paperwork, paperwork, paperwork, etc. on top of the normal
>expectations and responsibilities of the Crown.  ugh.
>
>Please keep in mind that I am not talking about the benefit to the smaller
>groups of having more royalty to grace their events.  This benefit will
>undoubtedly occur.  What I am saying is that the burden to the *crown*
>will not decrease, and may even increase.  While they may no longer feel
>it necessary to make every smaller group's event, there will be many new
>events it would be necessary for them to attend.  And, they will still
>need to attend those smaller group events if there are members of the
>populace that merit Kingdom recognition.
>
>It's actually a rather finicky point.  I guess what I'm getting at is
>that, while there may be reasons to point to for splitting into
>principalities, decreasing the burden on the Crown is *not* a valid one.
>The Crown may even have more problems, dealing with three semi-autonomous,
>semi-independent nations, all of whom have their own royalty, their own
>quarrels, and their own ideas of how the game should be played.  You would
>do better to base your arguments on more persuasive reasoning.
>
>Margaret

I would like to remind everyone that extra coronets also means extra
individuals  to delegate to.  Even landed Barons and Baronesses can give
AoA's with the proper delegation from the crown; such responsibilities can
and should be shared with Principality coronets who would, I might point
out, have reason to do some traveling about of their own.

Aquilanne