Thoughts and Questions

stddly at SHSU.edu stddly at SHSU.edu
Wed Sep 25 15:15:38 PDT 1996

Heilsa Vicount Galen and all good Gentles that read these words...

Kief here... (Note: This letter has been heavily edited for brevity.)

>Galen replies to Lionardo Acquistapace:

<snip>

>Indeed, twice in the past, I'd say around 1986 and again in about 1988,
>full-blown pushes for principality status came up, fueled primarily from the
>Stargate area.  Then, they spoke of starting a southern principality, but
>few people wanted any part of it.

Quite true! Still don't here in Raven's Fort. At least 90% against
principalities...specific and in general.

<snip>

>I'm not asking for reasons why we might or might not want to have
>principalities.  I'm asking what reason the person or people who started
>this had for doing so.  What problems did they feel it would solve?
>
>Why are we discussing this?  I don't say we shouldn't be on this topic, but
>this is a lot of hassle for somebody, mainly TRM, to hear and read a lot of
>comments.  What benefit for that hassle?  Either it'll lead to Ansteorra
>being divided up into principalities, or not.  Given that we can have the
>"not" without the hassle, someone must want the principalities, and feel
>that this is the best way to achieve it.

The hassle will be worth it if we can lay to rest the issue once and for all
for, at least, the next 5-10 years...(Unlikely though...*sigh)

<snip>

>As a former Kingdom Seneschal, I can tell you that that officer is busy
>enough without creating artificial tempests.  And the Crown, with just a
>six-month reign, has even less time.

By the gods...this is absolutely the case!

<snip>

>I guess it would have to be because I love Ansteorra, and I feel that its
>growth has not reached the point where it can support three principalities
>without severe damage to the game we play here.  See my previous note, "I
>was a Teenage Prince..." (reposts available).  Most of the time, when I get
>involved in SCA politics, I'm trying to prevent someone from doing something
>I think will impair the fun of people who don't play politics, but just play
>the dream.  I see that again here.

*see below

>But it looks increasingly like someone doesn't what us to know how this
>topic came up, and I can only imagine (in paranoid fashion) whose idea it
>is, what their motives and goals are, and why we aren't being told those
>things.  All we get is people insisting that it be discussed in the vacuum
>of not knowing why we're on the topic.

**see below

>DOES someone want this enough to get through the political and bureaucratic
>obstacles to achieve it?  If so, is that what's happening now?  Or did TRM
>and Duke Inman just get bored and decide to stir up this question this year?
> I can't help but believe that someone, somewhere, has some goal.  I don't
>know who or where, I don't know whether it's for good or ill (I can easily
>imagine either), and I don't understand why TRM declined to say who had
>brought it up.

***see below

*I, too, love Ansteorra. So do we all...each in our own way. There is NO
_someone_ trying to wreck our Kingdom.

**There were a few people that brought this issue up. There has been NO
petition, NO "plans", NO real proposal... Just an inquiry as to whether or not
the PEOPLE of Ansteorra would support the idea of principalities.

***One of the inquiries came as an INFORMAL request from the BoD to poll the
populace. This poll would see if there is _any_ support for a move toward
principalities. The other inquiries came from members of the populace. I can
tell you, in fact, that through direct conversations with TRM Mikael and
Mikaela, and the Kingdom Seneschal, Duke Inman, that THEY DID NOT INSTIGATE
THIS POLL. They are just trying to lay any questions to rest on the WILL OF THE
POPULACE in this matter. As far as I can see, there is NO agenda, the goal is
that of _information gathering_, I see no sinister purpose here at all. The
answer to the question, "Do the PEOPLE of Ansteorra want principalities in
their Kingdom?", is a _good_ goal...we shall know, one way or the other, just
what the wishes of the populace are...

If TRM wish to divulge the information on exactly who asked Them "the Question"
They will tell us. To me it makes no real difference. Let's get on with poll!

> - Viscount Galen of Bristol, KSCA, former Kingdom Seneschal
>soon to be pmitchel at flash.net

I remain....

...in Service to you, my Barony, my Crown, and my Kingdom...

Sir Kief av Kiersted

"Better the Hammer than the nail..."

ONE PEOPLE...ONE KINGDOM!