Uproar Update

dennis grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Sep 26 23:38:02 PDT 1996

Greetings Unto You All, Cousins

Considering the recent hubbub about *gasp* principalities in Ansteorra, I
just had to share this missive from a fellow expatriate Artemisian.  (-:

<snip>(Politics - a prefix
>- poly - meaning many, and a suffix - tic(k)s - meaning bloodsucking small
>insects. An Tir is having a major upheaval. After all these years someone
>finally mentioned the 'P' word (principality) and the whole damn kingdom
>is flapping like a flock of startled pigeons. Considering the size of the
>Kingdom and the vast distances to be covered, (worse than Atenveldt, not
>counting being in two countries) this actually makes sense.
>                                      __^__
>                                     / 0 0 \
>===================================oOO=(_)=OOo=======================

Sound at all familiar?

By the by, on that whole question of which Coronet can give which award to
which citizens of what:  frankly this has been blown out of proportion.  If
Coronet of Principality Red wants to give the Order of the Red Guys to a
denizen of Principality Blue, most Kingdom and Principality laws allow said
presentation.  The only time the Coronet must obtain approval from Crown is
if the award in question is armigerous, but the Coronet must ALWAYS obtain
permission to confer arms--even to his own subjects.  OTOH, I would expect a
courteous Coronet to contact the Blue Coronet to say, "I'm going to make
your citizen Whosis a Companion of the Red Guys because of outstanding
Redness at Red events."  Unless the Blue Coronet just absolutely despises
Whosis, this will probably cause no problem.

REAL WORLD ALERT:  This cross border award-giving scenario is exceedingly
rare and extremely unlikely to rankle the Coronets (you're in greater danger
of getting AIDS from a skeeter bite).  The only people I know of who would
care are the same people who whine when ANYBODY else gets an award they
believe they should have received first.  In a case like that, what's the
worst thing that can happen?  A few flesh-eaters might resign in disgust.
Gee, that would be a shame.

Until the next principality panic-attack, I remain,

Yours in Virtual Service,

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
Dennis G. Grace
Assistant Instructor
Postmodern Medievalist
Division of Rhetoric and Composition
University of Texas

Baro, metetz en guatge                    |  Lords, pawn your castles,
Chastels e vilas e ciutatz                |  your towns and cities.
Enanz qu'usquecs no'us guerreiatz         |  Before you're beat to the draw,
                                                    draw your swords.

                   -- Bertran de Born