The Rising of the Star

KiheBard at aol.com KiheBard at aol.com
Fri Apr 18 22:37:15 PDT 1997

In a message dated 97-04-18 02:08:45 EDT, Burke writes:

I'm addressing the meta-subject in much greater detail in another
posting, but wanted to answer the original question directly
in the context of _Rising of the Star_ and other "favorites".

> I  notice in the various versions of this song that have been
> posted here over the last few days that some of the verses
> have change over the years.
>  A few have become more (politically Correct??).
> So do we hold true to the original versions or do we
> teach the newer versions of those verses?

We teach both, and choose which to teach to who and when
according to the student's ability, understanding, and skill.

And some we treat as variants deserving to become full-fledged
verses standing on their own.

Obvious example: The verse about Simon Mountaingate
(of Amber (Isle))

The earliest form of the verse with which I am familiar speaks of
Simon in the form
"[He's the] He was Prince of Ansteorra, at the Rising of the Star".
(exact variation dependent upon performance before or after
the final Principality Court)

More "modern" versions name a later accolade
"He's a Count of Ansteorra, by the ...".

Currently, he fits both descriptions.

I personally consider it best to do TWO things: use
"Prince / At", *and* reclaim the practice of changing
the chorus slightly more than just the one echoed line
to fit the most recent verse.

Too many of the younger singers in Ansteorra have learnt
the "By/By/By" droning form of the chorus. *Please* help
me in my efforts to restore the older form:
for the current example of Simon, the chorus becomes
     At the Rising of the Star, (x3)
     He was Prince of Ansteorra,
    At the Rising of the Star
and reverts to "By" mostly where "By" is used in the verse.

My opinions, my preference, as a bard of Ansteorra.  (Now, where
did I put my mead? <gryn>)

Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
	currently residing in Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mike C. Baker					KiheBard at aol.com
Any opinions expressed are obviously my own unless explicitly stated
otherwise!