Request from Talana

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Tue Apr 1 23:33:03 PST 1997

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Jennifer Carlson wrote:
> I am looking for the wordings used on the scrolls of the various
> baronial orders (... Oak of the Steppes, etc.) to use as examples

The Steppes' baronial awards do not have scrolls of any form.  There
is only the token.

Major reason I've heard: the Oak is armigerous, so the Crown's
approval is needed (and therefore asked for in advance).  However, a
scroll would have to be signed by the Crown.  Having a scroll for the
Crown to sign might make them feel more proprietary about it, and make
it psychologically easier to refuse or to make one of their own.

(Would it be written as "We N. and N. King and Queen ... bestow ..."?
What is the practice in other baronies -- does the scroll say it's
from the Baron/ess or from the Crown?)

Minor reason: nobody has to bother a scribe 15 minutes before court
because the Baron found that the scroll was misplaced.  If it's just
insignia they're short of, it's easy to just bum one from someone and
replace it at leisure.

--
Daniel de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com