Ansteorra at Pennsic

Keith Ewing keandbc at ix.netcom.com
Mon Apr 21 21:08:10 PDT 1997

Greetings.

I would like to get the Kingdom's input on some things I'd like to do
at Pennsic.

First of all, I would like all Ansteorrans to camp together, preferably
with a little extra room between tents. This will require EVERYONE who
is planning on going to Pennsic to preregister and pay before June 1st.
(See Katriona's post concerning Pennsic on how to go about that.) Last
year we were a little crowded because people didn't plan ahead.

Secondly, there are a few things that we have done in the past that I
would like to do bigger and better. In the past a lot of the cool
things that happen in the Ansteorran encampment at Pennsic have been
substantially funded by a very few people. I would like to spread this
financial burden around a bit, if people are willing. Last year we had
perimeter poles and ropes, a signpost style gate, and an evening in
which we asked the known world to come eat chile with us. We also built
a tower that put Ansteorra's banners taller than anything else at
Pennsic. The Tower itself is a framework of construction scaffolding
that is rented and delivered to the site. This scaffolding is then
covered with plywood that has been painted to look like stonework. My
estimate on the cost of all this (the tower, the chile, the gate, and
the perimeter) is between $2000 and $3000. Alisha and I will "prime the
pump" by donating $250 ourselves. The costs can be reduced somewhat by
doing more work beforehand. For instance, if someone had a large amount
of construction scaffolding laying around that they wouldn't
mind us using, that would be a substantial cost savings. Or several
people could bring 4' X 8' sheets of 1/2" plywood that is already
painted. This would save money and construction time on site. There are
probably other things that would help that I have not considered. The
feedback that I get on this forum will help me decide on whether or not
we will be doing these things, so please feel free to email me with
suggestions or pledges.

Lastly, I would like everyone who goes to Pennsic to have an excellent
time. Fight well. Shop till dawn. Learn from teachers from all over the
known world. Enjoy the hospitality of camps from Caid to Drachenwald,
from Lochac to Oertha. Show them all what it is to be an Ansteorran.
HAVE FUN!

Prince Kein MacEwan