ANST - Belts (was Barcoding)

Mitchell, Paul T MTCHPTAA at SMTPGATE.lmtas.lmco.com
Mon Aug 4 14:40:00 PDT 1997

Britta -

Wear your blue belt in good health.

I believe Daniel was speaking most precisely when he said
"Four of the common belt colors are more or less taken."
(Although one could dispute including yellow as a "common"
belt color.)

"More or less" is important here.  I don't know of any written
SCA law or rule reserving any color of belt, other than
herald's office policy which designates regalia of orders.

Long-Standing SCA Tradition, hallowed with age in all kingdoms,
reserves white belts for knights.  Argue all you want about un-
adorned or decorated white belts.  If you don't want to get into
that argument, avoid a white belt.

Long-Standing SCA Tradition, observed in most kingdoms, is
that red belts denote a squire.  I know of noplace that _reserves_
red belts for squires.  But as I always say, "Presuming to be
a knight is one thing.  Being willing to be mistaken for a
squire is your own problem."

Much more recent tradition, imported to Ansteorra from other
kingdoms where it is Long-Standing Tradition, is that a yellow
belt denotes a Pelican's protege, and a green belt denotes a
Laurel's apprentice.  Like the red belt, you are free to wear
these if you're willing to argue with the clueless who think
this actually means you can't wear those colors.  OTOH,
I'd advise against wearing a red belt if you both are not
a squire, yet hope to become one.  Ditto for hopeful
proteges and apprentices.

One point about white belts.  Knights are largely restricted from
wearing _any_ other color.  If I show up to a tourney _without_
my belt and chain, it'll be taken as a political statement, no
matter what.  And when I did, it was.  Again, none of this is
law, but long-standing SCA tradition.

Sir G.