ANST - Belts (was Barcoding)

Richard L. Rohde talen at microtutors.com
Mon Aug 4 14:51:14 PDT 1997

This is how I learned it.

Only the white belt or white baldric is reserved.  By tradition a red
belt is for squires.  A somewhat recent import from other kingdoms is a
green belt for apprentices and I think a yellow belt for "thorns"
(uncommon term for Pelican's apprentices).  A recently seen innovation
is a red baldric for students to a Master at Arms.  The white and red
colors are also used in similar fashion for Rapier Fighters to
designate Dons and Cadets.  To the best of my knowledge, only the white
scarf is "reserved", and then only for kingdoms which recognize the
treaty that establishes Rapier fighting outside Ansteorra (I believe
the only kingdoms not part of the treaty are Meridies and Calontir).
 The white belt or baldric, however, is proscribed throughout the SCA,
as it is a recognized insignia of a peerage order established by the
SCA in general, not by individual kingdoms.

Again, only a completely white belt or baldric is reserved.  White with
another color is not, though I would recommend not running the white
unbroken horizontally or it might appear all white at a distance.

Talen
--------
Centurion Talen Gustaf von Marienburg, Kriegsherr von Nordsteorra
Ritterlichkeit und Ehre ---- Chivalry and Honour
Personal E-mail: talen at microtutors.com
Centurion Web Site:  http://www.microtutors.com/css/css.htm