ANST - Long Courts & Oaths

Lenny Zimmermann zarlor at acm.org
Mon Aug 4 15:16:31 PDT 1997

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997 13:53:08 -0500, Angus wrote:

>> > how many rapier combatants out there consider themselves
>"swashbucklers"?
>
>> Don Robin of Gilwell, I think, likes the term.  I'm pretty sure
>> he prefers it to "light fighter", and maybe to "rapier fighter".
>
>Works for me, though I really do not have any say so since I am not a light
>fighter/rapier fighter/swashbuckler (yet???). The term "swashbuckler" flows
>smoothly from my tongue, while "light fighter" and "rapier fighter" fights
>its way out of my mouth (no pun intended cause I'm a herald and I do not
>pun, I cant ;-).

How about Noble, or Gentle? Usually such individuals (certainly in the
16th century) would carry weapons used to defend their honor and their
lives, yet they would not normally be called a "rapier fighter".
Swashbuckler is a partially derogatory term for the 16th century (from
what I can tell) and is considered something of an irreverent style in
the 17th (again from only my personal experience/research) even if it
is not derogatory, per se. To each their own, of course. Guess I AM
just a stuck up Italian noble in the minority for not wanting to be
thought of as a swashbuckler. ;-)

Honos Servio,
Lionardo Acquistapace, Bjornsborg
(mka Lenny Zimmermann, San Antonio)