Renaissance Courtiers (was Re: ANST - Dennis O'Connor)

Dennis O'Connor dmoc at primenet.com
Fri Aug 8 17:10:34 PDT 1997

 From: Lenny Zimmermann <zarlor at acm.org>
>On Fri, 8 Aug 1997 10:44:49 -0700, Dennis O'Conner wrote:
>
>> From: Timothy A. McDaniel <tmcd at crl.com>
>>>Hossein Ali Qomi wrote:
>[snip]
>>>While I like authenticity where it's
>>>just as easy to be authentic as not, I must say that I'd rather
>>>have "a distillation of renaissance courtier ideals" in the SCA.
>>
>>Renaissance courtiers ... the toadies that hung around courts ?
>>Weren't their ideals sloth, self-promotion, brown-nosing,
>>vicious rumor-mongering, and in general, skill at nasty politics ?
>>
>>I'd rather hang out with country knights and direct but
>>abrasive guildsmen and farmers, myself.  At least
>>with them I don't have to watch my back.
>
>Speaking of poor examples. Don't you think that is a bit too much of a
>generalization?

Yes, it was.  It is, of course, improper to associate either
particularly proper *or* particularly improper behavior
with any non-behaviorally-distinguished grouping of people.
It is, of course, just as authentic for a courtier persona
to be chivalrous, kind, good-natured and honest as it is
for them to be Cardinal Richeleau (sp?) wanna-bes.

My apologies.
Dennis O'Connor               dmoc at primenet.com
All rights reserved. Speaking only for myself, by default.