ANST - Measuring Bows

Lord Larkin O'Kane larkin at webstar.net
Wed Aug 27 21:01:18 PDT 1997

On Wed, 27 Aug 1997 06:27:45 -06:0, you wrote:

>> >Yes, I can overdraw off the the side, but that ruins the aim. What
>> >good is range if I can't hit the target?
>>
>> The solution to this is practice with the helm on.
>
>Ok, next time you take a rifle to the range, hold it over your head
>to shoot. Think you'll miss a lot? Well, gee, you just need more
>practice that way!

Aw. common Savien, that's apples and oranges.

>As with the rifle, practice improves aim, but if you are holding the
>weapon in a goofy way the aim will never be very good.

Gee, that's exactly what I thought when I was being taught how to hold
an epee.  Imagine my surprise when the goofy way turned out to be the
right way for fighting with that weapon. :)

It's the nature of the beast. Archers in period would not be required
to wear helmets so they have more anchor points to draw to. If you
want to be anal about being period [not saying you are, mind. ] try to
draw the way the Roman Archers did, straight back to the middle of the
chest - very ineffective.

What I was trying to get across was that combat archery and target
archery are also apples and oranges. Perhaps just as different as
fighting with ratan is different than rapier fighting. You can do
both,. but you have to practice both.  Practice target archery for
IKAC and other archery events; practice [SCA]combat archery for
[SCA]combat.  Sorry I wasn't that clear in my first post.

Larkin
===