ANST - Drawing a Bow Whi

harry billings psobaka at mail.myriad.net
Fri Aug 29 06:36:52 PDT 1997

It is not just the poundage increase it is the per cent increase. If you go
from 30 to 38 it is 26% if you had a bow that stacked like my short recurve
it could be close to 50% I would ckeck it on a scales but it is now a two
piece bow.

>I am assuming that if we matched draw measurements to the person, we
>WOULD make arrow borrowing illegal. So:
>
>An archer either has to go into a battle with a bow that
>pulls more than 30# at his maximum draw length (and arrows that
>are shorter than his max draw so he can use them to pass
>inspection) or he will need to be ready to draw off to the side
>once he gets longer arrows, with the resulting loss of accuracy.

Accuracy is a function of practice with a particular shooting style

>Next, our cheating friend must stash longer arrows somewhere on the
>field before the battle OR he must find someone willing to loan him
>arrows, knowing it is illegal.

No he just makes up two sets of arrows one for inspection and a second set
that look the same are just longer. Has the short set inspected goes back to
camp and trades arrows.

>Then the arrow exchange has to happen without a marshal noticing.
>For all this trouble the archer gets an increase of maybe 5-10
>pounds (my old 40# bow yields 30# at 23" and 38# at 28" -- 8 pounds
>gained).
>
>Next our little cheating archer must shoot those particular arrows
>at close range, as that extra few pounds certainly won't make a
>difference past 20 feet or so. He must hit his target (not
>necessarily easy if he is drawing in a way he is not use to) in an
>area which is not armored, BUT is fragile enough that that extra 5-10
>lbs will make the difference between whether or not he is injured
>(never mind that he is armored against rattan swords...).

Actuly the gain is in longer range and impact at that longer range.

>For all this to happen in the same battle seems wildly unlikely to
>me.
>
>Ok, now let's look at the "slight" gain. As I pointed out earlier, we
>are talking about ** 1/3 to 1/2 ** of my range and power. Perhaps
>more for smaller folks. I am 5'7" and there are a lot of folks who
>are smaller than me. A 100% increase in range does not look "slight"
>or trivial to me.

Use a crosbow they are not that hard to make. Been their done that. Going to
make a prettier one some day.

>Ok, you guys got me to go digging in the rules, so here is the
>result.  On the subject of draw length the state:
>
>"2. The marshallate finds acceptable only recurves and longbows which
>are made of wood, aluminum or fiberglass and which:
>a. have a maximum strength of thirty pounds with a full legal draw
>using legal wooden shafted quarrels."
>
>Notice that no number is given for draw length. The closest thing I
>could find was in a description of wood-shafted arrows:
>
>"The maximum length of the shaft shall be 28 inches."
>
>No minimum was given. So a 23 inch arrow IS legal. Full draw using
>that arrow would be 23 inches. According to the above rules, it is at
>THAT draw that my bow cannot exceed 30#.

What do you recommend for the punishment for the fighter/archer caught over
drawing. Drawing to the face of the blunt not the base of the cone. I have
seen it done if we were to go to 30# at your draw length. I am not saying it
would be intentional, you suddenly find a fighter rushing you and go draw
shoot real fast never mind form.

snip
Plachoya Sobaka a most insignificant archer in Ravens Fort Kingdom of Ansteorra