ANST - Drawing a Bow Whi

harry billings psobaka at mail.myriad.net
Fri Aug 29 11:36:45 PDT 1997

>[snip]
The bows can and should be marked with a sticker that would be difcult to
remove. And you are right we can not prevent cheating just try to discurage it.

>Ok, so how is that any different from swapping out bows? Or bow
>strings? If he is intent on cheating, he will cheat.
>
>> >Next our little cheating archer must shoot those particular arrows
>> >at close range, as that extra few pounds certainly won't make a
>> >difference past 20 feet or so. He must hit his target (not
>> >necessarily easy if he is drawing in a way he is not use to) in an
>> >area which is not armored, BUT is fragile enough that that extra 5-10
>> >lbs will make the difference between whether or not he is injured
>> >(never mind that he is armored against rattan swords...).
>> >
>> Actually the gain is in longer range and impact at that longer range.

Actually the only real DANGER we have in archery is from bounce backs or
some sort of head failling unles you go to considerably haver bows.

>No sir, the statement I was arguing specifically said DANGER, not
>fair play. If this is about keeping someone that intent on cheating
>from getting a few extra yards I say it is wasted effort and an
>absolutely useless restriction. If he is willing to cheat to gain
>those extra yards, standardized draws will not stop him.
>
>> Use a crossbow they are not that hard to make. Been their done that.
>> Going to make a prettier one some day.
>
>I was a bow hunter for many years before I joined the SCA. I have
>probably been shooting long bows since before most of you were born.
>I own a beautiful crossbow (well, actually it is my wife's) which I
>regard as an interesting toy. Give up longbows? Not likely.

Stop your bitching if you don't want to change to some thing you can use
with in the rules. Sort of like complaining about not being able to use a 9"
spear so no one else should be able to do so. NOt every one can do every
thing in this fun group so we try to find things we can do. Perhaps we
should go back to the origanal combat archery rules 18" bamboo garden stakes
and what ever bow you can draw.

>1. Why is this any different with a 23" shaft than a 28" shaft? I
>don't see how this question relates to how bows are measured.

Not any different

>2. To answer your question, I recommend the same punishment we dole
>out to others who hit too hard. It happens with rattan, it happens
>with rapier. We already know how to deal with those who hit too hard.

Sounds like a plan to me.

>3. We also know how to deal with those caught deliberately cheating.
>If someone actually performs the premeditated act of smuggling
>illegal equipment onto the field they should not be allowed to play
>with us any more. Our game requires that we be able to trust one
>another. If someone proves that they cannot be trusted we must remove
>them for safety reasons.
>
>M. Doré

Plachoya Sobaka a most insignificant archer in Ravens Fort Kingdom of Ansteorra